Ayodhya attack: Remand of accused extended | india | Hindustan Times
  • Monday, Jun 25, 2018
  •   °C  
Today in New Delhi, India
Jun 25, 2018-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Ayodhya attack: Remand of accused extended

A local court extended the judicial remand of the five accused in the July 2005 Ayodhya attack case for another 14 days.

india Updated: Apr 03, 2006 18:00 IST
None

A local court on Monday extended the judicial remand of the five accused in the July 2005 Ayodhya attack case for another 14 days and fixed the next hearing for April 17.

District and Sessions Judge RP Shukla told the accused about the chargesheet approved by the Uttar Pradesh government under sections 153 A (promoting communal enmity) and 153 B (causing prejudice against national integration) of the Indian Penal Code and various sections of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

The accused requested that their cases be transferred from Faizabad as no advocate was willing to plead for them but the judge advised them to move the High Court.

The court's 'amicus curiae' NK Singh said the Faizabad Bar Association had not given him permission to appear on behalf of the accused.

Advocates OP Srivastava and Rajendra Tiwari however, had submitted applications seeking approval to plead for the accused.

Tight security arrangements were made around the court room compound where Irfan Khan, Asif Iqbal, Mohammed Aziz, Mohammed Shakeel and Mohammed Naseem were brought from Naini Central Jail in Allahabad.

They were arrested in connection with the attack on the acquired land complex in Ayodhya on July 5 last year in which all the five terrorists were shot dead by the security personnel deployed at the complex.