Azam promised but has not delivered: MPLB (J)
THE ALL-INDIA Muslim Personal Law Board (Jadid) has blasted Urban Development Minister Mohd Azam Khan for what it calls a false promise made to the Muslim community after the March 16 riots.
Khan going on record had assured withdrawal of cases lodged against Muslims vis-a-vis the riots that had taken place during Rajnath Singh’s regime. The Board (Jadid) in a reminder to Khan has asked him to fulfill the promise otherwise it would give a call for a public movement of sorts on this issue.
The spokesman for Board here, Mohd Salees, said it’s an open secret that hundreds of youth, social workers and those with political affiliation were all implicated. In the run up to the assembly polls, Azam Khan had repeatedly highlighted this issue in public meetings. And he had even assured withdrawal of cases once the SP government was voted to power.
“Three years have passed since then and nothing has been done, while the SP continues to portray itself as championing the Muslim cause,” he said. Board members today met office bearers of other Muslim organisations and those facing trial. The president of Ittehad-e-Millat Council, Ghulam Yazadani, said it was high time the government clarified if it really cares for the community.
Rattling off details of cases lodged against people with the Becongunj, Kotwali and Chamangunj police, he said actually Bajrang Dal members had created problems and the innocent paid the price. Those who met the riot victims included Mohd Sikander Raza Noori, Mohd Mushtaq Hasni, Mohd Mushtaq Musahadi, Intezaar Hussain, rehmani, Mohd Suleiman Hasgmati, Bahar ahmed, Dr Tariq Raza Fatmi, Munshi Nazeer Beg, Dr Jaseem Ahmed, Aqil Ali and others.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The kin of the deceased have been given an instant relief amount of ₹25,000 and the body has been sent for post-mortem.
- “I want the Congress party to be strong. I want the Congress to unite and fight the divisive forces," he said.