Bahrain fire survivors lose their jobs
Around 150 Indian workers claim that with no job now they have no money left even for buying food.india Updated: Aug 09, 2006 15:09 IST
Survivors of the devastating fire at a Bahrain labour camp that killed 17 Indian workers late last month claim that the Bahraini firm for which they worked has thrown them out and they have been left with no income.
The company, Royal Tower Construction Company, is at present locked in talks with Bahrain's labour ministry over allegations of abuse of workers, reports the Gulf Daily News.
Around 150 Indian workers claim that with no job now they have no money left even for buying food. Nine Indian workers were also injured in the July 30 fire.
"We don't have work now and the Indian embassy has asked us not to find work anywhere else too because it is illegal as we are sponsored by the Royal Tower Construction Company and its other companies," said one worker, Ramachandran Karuppan.
"It is becoming impossible for us to sustain our lives now, with no work and thus no income," he added.
The workers who survived the accident have been given temporary shelter at a makeshift camp in Askar.
The company and the Bahraini labour ministry held talks Tuesday, but no solution was reached. Further talks are to be held, AK Bhatnagar, first secretary in the Indian embassy in Bahrain, told the newspaper.
"We are being assured that things are being worked out in a speedy manner and a quick solution will be reached," said one of the effected workers.
"A solution to the plight of the workers will be reached soon and talks are proceeding," said Bhatnagar.
First Published: Aug 09, 2006 15:09 IST