Chhath Puja being used as show of strength: Raj
Accusing north Indians of using their religious festival Chhath Puja in the metropolis as a means of show of strength, Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray on Saturday said he would not allow them to "browbeat" Marathi people.
"I am not against Chhath Puja. But what I oppose is that it is used as a means of show of strength," he said.
While hitting out at north Indians, Thackeray did not even spare Hindi and English channels and he barred them from covering his press conference, alleging they were giving a distorted picture about him.
Thackeray alleged that while covering his news, the channels, especially the Hindi ones, were behaving in a partisan manner supporting north Indians in its coverage.
He also criticised them for speculating about his possible arrest. "The police have not taken any action against me, the court has not found me guilty, but these channels are reporting with preconceived notion that I am guilty. This is the reason that I have barred them from covering this press conference," he added.
He denied that he had spearheaded the anti-north Indian agitation to checkmate his cousin Uddhav Thackeray and said such accusations are baseless.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Earlier this month, CBI in the first charge-sheet in the case had named BSF Commandant Satish Kumar and Murshidabad-based businessman Enamul Haque along with five others for their alleged involvement in cattle smuggling across the India-Bangladesh border.
- The bench, also comprising Justices L Nageswara Rao and S Ravindra Bhat apart from Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde were of the view that magistrates should play a more “intrusive” role in investigation.
- Police said the accused and the victim were in a relationship for a year, but of late she had been avoiding him.
- The national carrier at present is operating only special passenger trains since the curbs on lockdown were eased. Regular passenger trains have been suspended since March 25, 2020.
- Both the casualties took place due to IED blasts.
- The BJP unit has also been at loggerheads with the ruling Meghalaya Democratic Alliance (MDA) dispensation with its chief Earnest Mawrie accusing it of anomalies in governance.
- Shahjahanpur’s superintendent of police S Anand, SP, denied reports that the girl was burnt after a failed rape attempt
- An expert team is trying to drain out the lake to prevent another tragedy like the Chamoli flash flood.
- The tribal fair draws devotees not only from Telangana, but also from other states like Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh.
- The notice released by the state government stated “All passengers coming to West Bengal from the aforementioned 4 states shall mandatorily carry a covid negative RT-PCR report for such test conducted within 72 hours of flight departure.”
- The police said they were ascertaining the identities and affiliation of the two terrorists.