Child dies after consuming prasad in Orissa

Updated on May 24, 2007 11:25 PM IST

As many as 30 people were admitted to the Dharmasala hospital and one of them, Chandan Mallick, 8, died in the afternoon.

HT Image
HT Image
IANS | By, Bhubaneswar

A child died while over 50 people, mostly women and children, fell sick in an Orissa village after consuming prasad, a health official said on Thursday.

As many as 30 people were admitted to the Dharmasala hospital and one of them, Chandan Mallick, 8, died in the afternoon.

Residents of Sarei village in Jajpur district, about 130 kms from Bhubaneswar, had taken Sirini - a religious offering made of rice, milk, coconut, and sugar - during a village festival on Tuesday.

After 48 hours many of them complained of giddiness and acute stomachache. Many vomited and complained of diarrhoea, a medical officer of the hospital said.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Friday, August 19, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now