Coldplay's X&Y best-seling album 2005
Brtish band Coldplay had the world's best-selling album of 2005. The band's third album X&Y sold 8.3 million copies around the globe, and beat Mariah Carey's The Emancipation of Mimi whichUpdated: Apr 01, 2006 22:20 IST
Brtish band Coldplay had the world's best-selling album of 2005. The band's third album X&Y sold 8.3 million copies around the globe, and beat Mariah Carey's The Emancipation of Mimi which sold 7.7 million copies, and rapper 50 Cent's The Massacre, which came in third with sales of 7.5 million.
Overall global music sales of physical and digital music combined were down 3%, according to the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) report.
The Black Eyed Peas album Monkey Business is fourth in the worldwide album chart, followed by American Idiot by Green Day.
Madonna's Confessions on a Dance Floor is next, ahead of American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson. Rap star Eminem's greatest hits album Curtain Call narrowly beat UK star James Blunt's debut Back to Bedlam.
The success of Coldplay's third album released last June confirms their position as one of the most popular bands in the world reports BBC.
1. Coldplay, X&Y (8.3m)
2. Mariah Carey, The Emancipation of Mimi (7.7m)
3. 50 Cent, The Massacre (7.5m)
4. Black Eyed Peas, Monkey Business (6.8m)
5. Green Day, American Idiot (6.4m)
6. Madonna, Confessions on a Dance Floor (6.3m)
7. Kelly Clarkson, Breakaway (6.1m)
8. Eminem, Curtain Call (5.5m)
9. James Blunt, Back to Bedlam (5.5m)
10. Robbie Williams, Intensive Care (5.4m).
First Published: Apr 01, 2006 22:20 IST