Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 24, 2019-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Curfew on in Kupwara; bandh hits life in J&K

Curfew had been imposed in Trehgam on Monday after a 16-year-old boy was killed in firing by security forces.

india Updated: Jun 13, 2006 14:24 IST
Press Trust of India
Press Trust of India

Normal life was disrupted in Srinagar and in major towns of Jammu and Kashmir following a bandh call given by Hurriyat Conference to protest alleged desecration of a mosque and the holy Quran even as curfew continued for the second successive day in Trehgam belt of Kupwara district.

Curfew had been imposed in Trehgam on Monday after a 16-year-old boy was killed in firing by security forces trying to disperse stone-pelting protesters agitating over the alleged desecration.

The curfew is being continued as a precautionary measure, Kupwara deputy commissioner Abdul Majid Khanday said.

He said authorities are monitoring the situation and a decision about relaxation in curfew would be taken on Tuesday.

No untoward incident has been reported from anywhere in the district, Khanday said adding that additional police and paramilitary personnel have been deployed in sensitive areas.

The town had been rocked by a series of protests since Saturday after residents of Zirhama village accused the army of desecrating a mosque and the holy Quran.

The situation took an ugly turn when army personnel opened fire on violent protestors the same day killing one person and injuring several others.

The Hurriyat Conference headed by Mirwaiz Umer Farooq had called for a general strike in the Valley over the incident.

Shops and business establishments in the major business centres of the city remained closed while skeleton transport services were plying on all routes, the sources said.

The work in government and semi-government offices, educational institutions, banks, courts and other establishments was also affected by the strike, they said.

Meanwhile, twenty activists of the moderate faction of Hurriyat Conference were detained by police on Tuesday when they tried to take out a protest march from their office headquarters at Rajbagh.

The slogan-shouting activists were stopped at Zero bridge while on their way to the local office of the UN military observers group at Sonawar, sources said.

Reports of peaceful protest demonstrations were also received from Kralapora, Punzgam and Handwara in Kupwara and Baramulla districts, they added.

First Published: Jun 13, 2006 14:24 IST

more from india