Drugs worth Rs.480 mn seized in Mumbai
In one of the biggest drug hauls in Maharashtra, the Department of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) Saturday seized a narcotics consignment worth nearly Rs.480 million meant for export to Mexico.
Acting on a tip-off, DRI sleuths raided the Air Cargo Complex at Mumbai International Airport and found 441 kg of Amphetamine tablets.
Investigations and a follow-up raid yielded another 382.5 kg of the same contraband.
The exporters had attempted to mislead the authorities by declaring these stimulants as lead acetate, which is also white in colour.
The sleuths also recovered a stock of 150,000 Viagra tablets worth Rs.15 million.
The DRI arrested one person, Pradeep Daund, during the raid. He has been remanded in judicial custody till June 27, a DRI source said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In 2016, the Supreme Court had placed a ban on animal fights during religious and cultural festivals.
- Air quality had remained in the poor to very poor category since the beginning of January owing to low temperatures. On January 8, the AQI was the worst at 317 (very poor) for this year.
- For the first time, TMC’s youth unit president and chief minister Mamata Banerjee’s nephew Abhishek Banerjee stepped in to solve the crisis. He sent party spokesperson Kunal Ghosh to bring Roy to his office on Camac Street in south Kolkata and held a two-hour meeting on Friday.
- To meet Shah’s target of winning more than 200 of Bengal’s 294 assembly seats in 2021, the BJP has put together its biggest election machinery in the eastern state.
- More than 12,000 doses of the vaccine have reached Ladakh of which around 4,000 have been earmarked for armed forces personnel to protect them from Covid-19, the officials said speaking on condition of anonymity.
- MPW workers demand promotion and cadre-restructuring.
- Choudhury's comments came after the TMC had on Wednesday said the Congress and the Left should support Banerjee in her fight against the BJP, a suggestion rejected by the two parties.