HT Image
HT Image

Father of Beckham's 'mistress' devastated by revelations

The father of the Malaysian-born Australian model at the centre of new revelations about soccer superstar David Beckham today said he was devastated over reports involving his daughter.
PTI | By AFP, Perth
PUBLISHED ON APR 14, 2004 08:36 PM IST

The father of the Malaysian-born Australian model at the centre of new revelations about soccer superstar David Beckham today said he was devastated over reports involving his daughter.

London's News of The World revealed Sunday claims by Perth-based Sarah Marbeck that she was the England captain and Real Madrid player's mistress for up to two years.

Marbeck, 29, told the Sunday tabloid how the former Manchester United player had sent her hundreds of erotic text messages during their relationship.

Her father, Terrance Marbeck, told reporters outside his home in the Perth suburb of Karrinyup that he had not seen Sarah recently and was unaware of the claims until he read them on the newspaper's website.

"I just came over from Malaysia, and I am just totally devastated by this," Marbeck said. "I just want to send a message to Sarah, she's not here, ... Wherever you are -- Mum and Dad love you very much. And call us."

Marbeck, accompanied by his wife Elizabeth, said he had not heard from his daughter since the claims were published and did not know where she was. More AFP BJB

"If you had a daughter would you like all these revelations coming out in the press, would you?" Marbeck asked. "I'm feeling pretty rotten about it."

He said he had not seen his daughter for a couple of months and she had not confided in him prior to telling her story to the News of the World.

But he wanted to "touch base" with his daughter, who has has not visited the family's Perth home since Christmas.

"I hope you will now leave us all alone to enjoy the rest of Easter," he told reporters.

A large media contingent of media set up camp outside the family's home on yesterday afternoon when her affair with the soccer star first hit the headlines.

They left today after Marbeck made it clear his daughter was not in Perth.

The journalist who wrote the article confirmed Sarah Marbeck had been paid for the story -- how much, he would not say -- but said it did not make her comments less true.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close
SHARE
Story Saved
OPEN APP