Five Naxalites surrender in Jharkhand | india | Hindustan Times
  • Saturday, May 26, 2018
  •   °C  
Today in New Delhi, India
May 26, 2018-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Five Naxalites surrender in Jharkhand

Five Naxalites on Sunday surrendered before the Giridih district administration.

india Updated: Mar 26, 2006 16:00 IST

Five Naxalites on Sunday surrendered before the Giridih district administration, which allotted them various benefits to join the mainstream, a top official said.

Deputy commissioner Vinay Kumar Ambast said the five Naxalites, Santosh Ravi Das, Majid Mian, Kurwan Mian, Janardhan Pandey and Teleswar Rajbanshi, have pledged not to go back to the CPI (Maoist) group.

A cheque for rupees ten thousand was given to each of the former ultras, Ambast said.

Each of them would also get one acre land to begin a new lease of life taking up agriculture business, a house under Indira Awas scheme and free education to their children up to matriculation, the deputy commissioner promised them when they presented themselves before the superintendent of police Arun Kumar Singh.

They would also be provided with a government lawyer to fight their cases relating to their involvement in cases of violence, Ambast said.

Santosh Ravi Das had been involved in an encounter with the police in which three policemen, including a sub-inspector, were killed and he also blew up five food grain-laden trucks on the GT road a couple of years ago, he said.