Give it a miss, Punter tells Pigeon
Despite Cricket Australia assuring ICC that it would send its strongest team to the Champions Trophy later this year, skipper Ricky Ponting has asked pace spearhead Glenn McGrath skip the tournament and play some county cricket to prepare for the Ashes.
"McGrath would be better off missing the Champions Trophy and he might be better served by getting some work in county cricket before the Australian summer," Ponting said after returning from the tour of Bangladesh.
McGrath had missed the tours of South Africa and Bangladesh to be with his ailing wife who is battling a recurrence of breast cancer.
Cricket Australia had earlier said that ICC events were its topmost priority and they would send their best side to the limited overs tournament to be held in India in October-November.
Meanwhile, Ponting expressed confidence that his team was on the right track to reclaim the Ashes when the oldest rivalry in cricket rekindles later this year.
"Australia are heading in the right direction for the start of the Ashes campaign," the master batsman said.
Australia's Test and one-day teams were performing well ahead of an important 12 months, that include the Ashes and the World Cup, he said.
"With both forms of the game, I'm really happy with the way things are going," Ponting told AAP.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Addressing the concluding session of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) state president K Surendran’s “Vijay Yatra” in the state capital, Shah posed five questions to the CM.
- Addressing a state conference for its cadres on the outskirts of Trichy, Stalin said a DMK government will give ₹1,000 every month to housewives and create a million jobs every month.
- The meeting came a week after Tewari and other letter writers, the group has been tagged the G23, addressed a meeting in Jammu in honour of retired MP Ghulam Nabi Azad.
- In Tamil Nadu, the Congress is in alliance with the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagham (DMK).
- The observations from the Union health ministry come a day after the country reported the largest single-day increase in new Covid-19 infections in two months.
- Smriti Irani says, "I’m the only female politician who’s also recognised by her former vocation. I recognise the bias in that."
- An official said that both Houses could meet at 11 am from the second week following the vaccination of eligible MPs.
- A suicide note found at the spot said they took the decision because of acute financial distress, an official said.
- The changes have been opposed by some states who see it as another attempt by the Centre to take over mining auctions and impose central rules on a state domain.
- A re-invigorated biodiversity management policy is India’s survival strategy. At this point in our development trajectory, we don’t pay any heed to either biodiversity or landscape conservation.
- According to Forest Survey of India’s forest fire alert system, there were 2,317 fire points last year between February 26 and March 7, but the figure rose to 53,211 this time after data from the Suomi National Polar-orbiting Partnership (SNPP) was taken into account.