Govt told to rein in telemarketers
Observing that there's a need to put an end to the harassment caused to mobile phone users by unsolicited calls, SC asks Centre to submit guidelines to stop such calls, reports Satya Prakash.india Updated: Jul 13, 2007 01:36 IST
Observing that there was a need to put an end to the harassment caused to mobile phone users by unsolicited telemarketing calls, the Supreme Court on Thursday asked the Centre to submit guidelines to stop such calls.
Kohli challenges extradition: Prime accused in the Hannah Foster murder case, Maninder Singh Kohli, has moved the Supreme Court challenging his extradition to Britain, where he faces trial for allegedly raping and killing the British teenager four years ago. His petition will come up for hearing on Friday. Kohli's plea before the Delhi High Court against the extradition order by a special court was dismissed on July 6. On Thursday, Kohli's advocate Rajesh Srivastava urged the Chief Justice to fix an early hearing of the case. But the bench turned down the plea.
Road mishaps must be reported: The Supreme Court has directed all state Governments to instruct police officers to comply with a compulsory requirement of the Motor Vehicles Act that mandates intimating the claim tribunal about a road accident within 30 days of its having taken place.
Retrospective promotion: A division bench of the Supreme Court has referred the issue of whether retrospective promotion or seniority can be granted to government officers or not to a larger bench. The order came on an appeal by forest officers challenging retrospective promotion of their colleagues.
The court asked the Centre to place before it whatever rules and regulation it had in this regard by July 27, the next date of hearing. Terming the unwanted calls made by banks and other organisations to market their products and services as a “nuisance", the court observed that the practice should stop.
Appearing for petitioner Harsh Pathak, senior counsel Vivek Tankha submitted that the government had been saying that it favoured banning such calls and intended to put an end to the woes of mobile phone users by formulating schemes to safeguard their privacy, but nothing had happened so far in this regard.
He asked why 100 million subscribers should get themselves registered for “Do Not Disturb” and said it was for the government to do something about it.
The counsel for private parties submitted that the court should dispose of the matter as the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India had already issued the Telecom Unsolicited Commercial Communications Regulations 2007 to check such calls.
First Published: Jul 13, 2007 01:26 IST