Haj stampede: UP counts its dead | india | Hindustan Times
  • Sunday, Jul 22, 2018
  •   °C  
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 22, 2018-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Haj stampede: UP counts its dead

UTTAR PRADESH was on Friday left counting its dead, 13 out of the total 44 Indians killed in the stampede at Mina near Mecca on Wednesday. The toll in the tragedy so far stood at 362. While Sultanpur, from where around 370 people had gone for Haj this year, alone accounted for 4 deaths, Lucknow?s figures stood at three. While Ambedkarnagar and Gorakhpur reported two deaths each, Baghpat and Varanasi accounted for one death each.

india Updated: Jan 14, 2006 01:31 IST

UTTAR PRADESH was on Friday left counting its dead, 13 out of the total 44 Indians killed in the stampede at Mina near Mecca on Wednesday. The toll in the tragedy so far stood at 362.

While Sultanpur, from where around 370 people had gone for Haj this year, alone accounted for 4 deaths, Lucknow’s figures stood at three. While Ambedkarnagar and Gorakhpur reported two deaths each, Baghpat and Varanasi accounted for one death each.

A pall of gloom descended on Sultanpur district with the news of the loss in the tragedy filtering in one by one. The dead included Mohd Sharif and his wife Sabreen Bano, residents Bunwaria village in the district, Akhtarunnisa of Murdanpur village and Surfaraz Ahmad of Maharajganj village.

In Lucknow, two deaths were reported from Tyagi Vihar in Sharda Nagar and one from Indira Nagar. A couple from Gorakhpur Mohammad Idrees (60) and Rukhsana (55) was also killed in the crush. They were residents of Naurangabad locality under Gorakhnath police station of the city.

The news of their death was confirmed in the wee hours of Friday. Thousands of people rushed to their residence to share their grief of the family. The family was in shock as none had imagined that they were meeting for the last time when they went to see-off Idrees and Ruhsana at Gorakhpur railway station on December 20.

Tanveer Ahmad, the eldest son of Idrees Ahmad, said neither the Saudi Arabian or Indian or any district administration officials had contacted them yet. He said his family members were ready to allow the burial of bodies at Mecca itself. The dead also included Varanasi’s Roshan Jahan (46). Her husband Hazi Altafurahman also sustained injury in the mishap. Hazi Karimullah, another pilgrim from Varanasi, gave the news about the loss to the family. The grief stricken sons and daughters of Roshan are now worried about the well being of their father and waiting for quick action from the Government of India. But, no government official has bothered to pay a visit to their house so far.

The Indian Haj Committee will give a compensation of Rs 3 lakh each to the families of the deceased who had gone there through it, the Committee Chairman Tanveer Ahmed said over phone from Mina.