Hooch toll rises to 173
With two more deaths being reported today in the state's worst-ever hooch tragedy in West Bengal, the toll rose to 173, officials said.india Updated: Dec 17, 2011 20:00 IST
With two more deaths being reported on Saturday in the state's worst-ever hooch tragedy in West Bengal, the toll rose to 173, officials said.
At the Diamond Harbour sub-divisional hospital, two of the victims passed away while ten were released on Saturday.
Ninety-six patients were released yesterday while 16 are still admitted there, hospital sources said.
In Kolkata's Bangur Hospital, National Medical College Hospital and Behala's Vidyasagar Hospital, sixty hooch victims are being treated.
The victims, most of them being labourers, rickshaw pullers and hawkers, fell ill after consuming spurious liquor from several illegal joints on Tuesday night. Preliminary investigations suggest that they died due to methyl alcohol toxicity which led to respiratory and cardiac failure.
Arrested hooch manufacturer Rafi-ul-Naskar, who has been given a police remand of 14 days, was produced in the court on Saturday. A total of 18 people have been arrested in the case so far.
Police said they are searching for another accused, Noor Islam Fakir.
Chief minister Mamata Banerjee had announced a CID inquiry into the tragedy after which a five-member CID team has been visiting the spot daily to investigate the case since Thursday.
First Published: Dec 17, 2011 19:58 IST