I'd like to work with Aamir Khan: Mehreen Syed
The contingent of Pakistani models in Indian films is growing. First there were Meera Khan and Sana Nawaz . Now there's model Mehreen Syed, who will feature in Sanjay Chauhan's (who had penned the dialogue for Maine Gandhi Ko Nahin Maara) period film set in Rajasthan in the 1940s, followed by Shashi Ranjan's romantic drama.
She says, people have mistaken perceptions about Pakistan. Models and actresses there are as talented as those in India, it's just that we don't have the right platform.
Besides Muscat, where she's walked the ramp for designer Hassan Shehryar , Syed has also worked in Paris and Milan. She says, I m a Syed. Humare yahan agar ladki kaam karna chaahe toh maarne-kaatne ki naubat aa jaati hai.
But Syed found a confidante in her mother, who is a lawyer. "I was abandoned by my family. Only my mother stood by me", she says. Now, she has a toe-hold in Bollywood.
Beyond the kiss
It's an industry of dreams, it's fascinating, she says. In the same breath, she explains the downsides.
Not many Indian directors know how to present a girl in the right manner. I often get offers asking me to shed my clothes before the narration of the script, she says. Why can't Indian directors make films with Pakistani girls, which are not just about kissing and wearing skimpy clothes? she asks.
Syed says she's been cautious about choosing both her films, I was supposed to work with Sanjay Chauhan in his film, Lahore , but I fell ill. Now I'm going to make up for that. This is an arty film, and I am really excited about it.
Details about Ranjan's film are yet to be finalised. Ask her about Bollywood's men and Syed says, I love Shah Rukh Khan as an actor. John Abraham is smart, but if there's one actor I'd like to work with, it's Aamir Khan, she gushes.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The order was issued after hearing an injunction suit filed by Ramesh Jarkiholi’s lawyers on Wednesday. The suit had named 68 media houses, channels and others.
- High Commissioner Alex Ellis also said more debates on the farmers' protest should be expected around the world as India takes on a greater role on the global stage
- Giving two weeks to the government to come back with its response, the bench then formally recorded in its order that one of the issues that has caught its attention is “uncontrolled and unscreened viewing of films” on Amazon Prime Video and other OTT platforms.
- The roughly 20,000 centres being used for the vaccine drive at the moment are hospitals, private as well as public, while many primary and secondary health centres at present are kept out of the programme.
- The external affairs ministry, which too rejected Freedom House’s report, also took exception to the depiction of Jammu and Kashmir in the map used in the document.
- A home ministry spokesperson said these rules prepared by the Foreigners’ Division were part of a brochure issued on November 15, 2019. The rules were consolidated and notified on Thursday.
- After the allegations on Jarkiholi, there were unverified reports of several similar videos and other sex scandals against other cabinet ministers.
- India is a signatory to the Paris Agreement under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- On the other hand, the DMK’s stalemate continued with its main and long standing ally, the Congress, on seat sharing.
- The person said it was imperative that the photographs are removed from certificates distributed in the poll bound states, adding that the system can continue in other states.
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla, former President Pratibha Patil, economist Amartya Sen, cricketer Sachin Tendulkar, spiritual leader Baba Ramdev, chief ministers of states and senior political leaders are among those included in the panel.