I will prove my innocence: A Raja
Former communications minister A Raja, under the Central Bureau of Investigation scanner for alleged impropriety in the allocation of telecom spectrum licenses to mobile phone companies, on Saturday reiterated that he would cooperate with the probe agencies and prove his innocence.india Updated: Dec 11, 2010 18:29 IST
Former communications minister A Raja, under the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) scanner for alleged impropriety in the allocation of telecom spectrum licenses to mobile phone companies, on Saturday reiterated that he would cooperate with the probe agencies and prove his innocence.
Speaking to reporters in Chennai after meeting DMK chief and Tamil Nadu chief minister M Karunanidhi, Raja said: "I will cooperate with the CBI and will comply with the procedures. No one is above the law."
Raja's meeting with the DMK boss follows raids by the CBI on his residence in New Delhi and in Perambalur in Tamil Nadu Wednesday. The central probe agency is likely to question him in connection with the second-generation spectrum allotment issue.
Karunanidhi, who had been staunchly supporting the beleaguered former minister, said Wednesday that the party would take action against Raja if he is found guilty.
The CBI searched the homes of Raja's close relatives and associates in Tamil Nadu and the office of the trust run by his family members.
Searches were conducted at the homes of Raja's former private secretary R K Chandolia, former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura, member (telecom) K Sridhar and deputy director general, (telecom) A K Srivastava.
The Supreme Court, which is hearing the case, had earlier asked CBI why it has not questioned the former minister on the issue.
Following the raids at Raja's residences, Karunanidhi had said that action would be taken against the former if he is found guilty.
Raja was forced to resign last month after the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) indicted him in the what is being called spectrum allocation scam and for causing a notional loss estimated between Rs 58,000 crore ($12.8 billion) and Rs 1.76 lakh crore ($40 billion) to the exchequer.
He is alleged to have sold spectrum licenses on a first-come-first-served basis and avoided an open auction that could have notionally fetched more to the government.
The 2G spectrum saga has crippled parliament since Nov 10 as the opposition refused to give up its demand for a parliamentary probe into the scam.
First Published: Dec 11, 2010 18:27 IST