ICC clears Botha of a suspected bowling action
The ICC gives a clean chit to Johan Botha's bowling action permitting the South African off-spinner to resume bowling at international level.india Updated: Nov 21, 2006 17:18 IST
The International Cricket Council has cleared Johan Botha of a suspected bowling action and written to Cricket South Africa that the off-spinner can resume bowling at international level.
"The findings of the report mean that Johan can resume bowling in international cricket," ICC General Manager, Cricket, David Richardson said in a press release on Tuesday.
"That permission is granted on the basis he (Botha) uses an action consistent to that used in the latest independent analysis of his action undertaken earlier this month," he added.
Re-stating the ICC's policy in relation to suspected illegal bowling actions, Richardson said any bowler can again come under scanner even after being cleared.
"Everyone needs to be aware that no bowler is ever 'cleared' as they could simply revert to bad habits."
"All bowlers are subject to further reporting if the match officials are of the view that they have concerns about whether a delivery or deliveries confirm to the Laws of Cricket when observed with the naked eye."
Botha was suspended from bowling in international cricket in February this year following an independent assessment of his action after he was reported for having a suspect action during the third Test against Australia in Sydney.
Botha embarked on remedial work under the supervision of the CSA and applied for an independent reassessment of his bowling action in August.
First Published: Nov 21, 2006 17:18 IST