India-Pakistan NSA talks collapse: Here's who said what
The NSA-level talks between India and Pakistan were called off on Saturday evening with both sides blaming each other for it. Here is who said what on the issue.india Updated: Aug 23, 2015 09:57 IST
Following a day of press conferences, statements and counter-statements and diplomatic ping-pong, the National Security Advisers-level talks between India and Pakistan collapsed off late on Saturday evening with both the sides blaming the other for the cancellation.
The final break was over two issues — the agenda of the talks and the proposed meeting of the Pakistani NSA with the Hurriyat leadership — leading to the collapse of the Ufa framework agreed by the two prime ministers only last month.
A formal Pakistani statement announced the talks "would not serve any purpose" if conducted on the basis of conditions laid down by Indian external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj. India reacted through the MEA spokesperson, calling the Pakistani decision “unfortunate” and emphasising there were no pre-conditions.
Here is who said what on the cancellation of talks:
#Congress: Soon after Pakistan calling off the talks, Congress reacted saying the cancellation "reflects Modi government's foreign policy failure." Party spokesperson Randeep Surjewala said, "Confusion, consternation and casual callousness are the three C's of Modi government's foreign policy which lacks both maturity and vision."
"India awaits a decisive and cohesive enunciation of a mature foreign policy that takes care of our strategic concerns, security issues and peaceful bilateral relationship," he said.
# Manish Tiwari, Congress leader said, "Pakistan and India were not indulging in a dialogue, they were playing a long distance verbal "kabbadi" match." He added that the only gainer out of the whole process has been the Hurriyat which has got underserved publicity.
# BJP spokesperson Nalin Kohli: It confirms that Pakistan is not serious on issues of terrorism.
# Nirmal Singh, Deputy CM of J-K: This has exposed the deceptive diplomacy of Pakistan.
# Former Jammu-Kashmir chief minister Omar Abdullah tweeted his disappointment, saying this was the only possible outcome.
For a while now this was the only possible outcome but that doesn't make the sense of disappointment any less acute #NSATalks— Omar Abdullah (@abdullah_omar) August 22, 2015
# Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, Hurriyat leader: Calling the cancellation "a lost an opportunity", leader of the Hurriyat Conference termed it as unfortunate.
"It's very unfortunate that both countries have lost the opportunity. Besides this, India's stand that Kashmir cannot be discussed and Kashmiris are not stakeholders is very surprising," he said.
# The US has said it was "disappointed" that the proposed talks between the National Security Advisors of India and Pakistan has been called off. "We are disappointed the talks will not happen this weekend and encourage India and Pakistan to resume formal dialogue soon," state department spokesperson John Kirby told PTI on Saturday.