India to get access to David Headley, says PM
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh reiterates that India would soon get access to David Headley, and that the same has been assured by the highest authorities in the United States.india Updated: May 24, 2010 15:04 IST
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during a press conference in the Capital today, conveyed that India would soon get access to 26/11 co-conspirator David Headley, and that the same has been assured by the highest authorities in the United States.
"I have been assured by the highest (authorities) in the US administration that we will get access to David Headley," said the 77-year-old Prime Minister, as he addressed the media on the occasion of the first anniversary of UPA-2.
Headley, a Chicago-based American with roots in Pakistan, has already confessed to have conducted several reccees as a part of the planning for the ghastly attacks that killed 166 innocent people in the country's financial capital in November 2008.
After being arrested in October last year, the 49-year old entered into a plea bargain with the US government in March this year, wherein he offered to be available to foreign investigators through deposition, video conferencing or letters rogatory.
A two-member committee, led by Solicitor-General Gopal Subramaniam, has already visited the US once in order to discuss the modalities of the entire issue.
First Published: May 24, 2010 14:46 IST