Inzi urges SA to reconsider decision
Pakistan cricket captain Inzamam-ul-Haq on Monday urged South Africa to reconsider its decision to withdraw from a planned tour to Pakistan because of security concerns.india Updated: Sep 22, 2003 20:43 IST
Pakistan cricket captain Inzamam-ul-Haq on Monday urged South Africa to reconsider its decision to withdraw from a planned tour to Pakistan because of security concerns.
Inzamam said South Africa could request a venue change if they remainded unsatisfied with security in the port city of Karachi. "It would deprive millions of cricket fans (in Pakistan)," Inzamam said. "It's unfair to call off the tour."
South African cricket officials in Johannesburg called off its tour to Pakistan last Saturday after a small bomb blast Friday in Karachi- where some of the matches were to be played- slightly injured five people. Police say the blast was motivated by a business dispute and was not terrorism.
Bangladesh team manager M.A. Latif also said Monday that his team faced no security problems during its five-week tour of Pakistan, which ended Sunday.
"From Karachi to Peshawar, Multan, Faisalabad and Rawalpindi we did not face any security problems," Latif said. Bangladesh rounded off its tour with the last one-day international in Karachi Sunday. It lost the test series 3-0 and was beaten 5-0 in the limited-overs matches.
"We played a test match (in Karachi) last month and a one-day match yesterday and the security at present is excellent. None of our players had any security problem whatsoever."