Jagdalpur SP suspended, Bastar IG transferred over Maoist attack
Three days after the gory Maoist attack on Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh, the state government today suspended Jagdalpur superintendent of police Mayank Shrivastava. HT reports.india Updated: May 28, 2013 22:15 IST
Three days after the gory Maoist attack on Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh, the state government on Tuesday suspended Jagdalpur superintendent of police Mayank Shrivastava and attached him to police headquarters.
Ajay Yadav will replace him as district police chief. The Bastar inspector general of police Himanshu Gupta too has been transferred.
The state government has asked the director general of police Ramniwas to look after and monitor the VIP security personally. The DGP would be assisted by the Raipur range inspector general of police GP Singh and DIG (special intelligence bureau) Deepanshu Kabra.
The death toll in Saturday’s audacious Maoist strike on a Congress convoy in Chhattisgarh’s Bastar division rose to 27 after bullet-riddled bodies of state party chief, his son and eight others were found on Sunday morning as reports emerged that the state was warned of a possible strike by the rebels.
The bodies of Nand Kumar Patel, his son Dinesh and eight others, most of them securitymen, were recovered from Jiram Ghat in Sukma district of Bastar division, police said.
Former union minister VC Shukla, among the 32 injured, was airlifted to Medanta Hospital in Gurgaon earlier in the day. The 84-year-old, who suffered bullet injuries, was critical but stable.
“Maoist violence is a serious challenge to Indian democracy,” Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said while visiting the injured in the state capital Raipur.
The killings took place at a time when 5,000 police personnel were camping in Sukma for anti-Naxal operations. Two specific intelligence inputs about the presence of 60 Maoists in a Darbha village was sent on March 13. Darbha is in Sukma district.
First Published: May 28, 2013 21:09 IST