Kasab wants Urdu chargesheet, probe urged to find out his age
Prime accused in Mumbai terror attack case urged for Urdu translation of the 11,000-page charge sheet and one month time to argue on charges proposed to be framed against him, while prosecution sought probe to determine if he was a juvenile.india Updated: Apr 21, 2009 20:44 IST
Prime accused in Mumbai terror attack case, Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, on Tuesday urged for Urdu translation of the 11,000-page charge sheet and one month time to argue on charges proposed to be framed against him, while prosecution sought probe to determine if he was a juvenile.
The judge M L Tahilyani has reserved orders until tomorrow on these applications. Kasab's advocate Abbas Kazmi moved two applications, one urging for Urdu translation of the chargesheet and the other seeking four weeks time to argue on charges. Kasab needs to understand the proposed charges and only then he can instruct him on his defence, Kazmi pleaded.
Special public prosecutor, Ujwal Nikam, strongly opposed Kasab's plea and said these were "delay tactics" employed by the accused to prolong the trial. He said Marathi was the official language of the court and the chargesheet in English and Marathi had already been provided to Kasab.
This is the second time Kasab has urged for chargesheet in Urdu. Earlier, a Magistrate had rejected his claim for an Urdu translation, saying there was no provision in law to provide this document in the language understood by accused.
In another development, Nikam urged the court to order an inquiry to determine whether prime accused Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab was a juvenile when he allegedly committed crime.