Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 15, 2018-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Maharashtra asked to frame guidelines for resorts

The Bombay High Court order is to prevent accidents like in Jungle Resort like the one last year, reports Urvi Jappi.

india Updated: Dec 01, 2006 22:27 IST
Urvi Jappi

Steps will finally be taken by the Maharashtra Government in order to prevent untoward incidents in resorts like the one in April last year in Jungle Resort at Palghar where two people lost their lives after getting electrocuted in swimming pool.

The Bombay high court recently directed the government to frame special guidelines for giving a clearance to a resort and also to keep a regular check on resorts.

The order was passed by a division bench of Justice B.H. Marlapalle and Justice JH Bhatia while disposing off a petition filed by Jungle Resort and Water Park. The resort had approached the HC last year after the state government had disconnected electric supply following the electrocution of Sonal Shah (33) and her daughter Hiral (7) on April 9, 2005.

The bench while observing that safety of the visitor is the duty of the resort owner, it even added that “the state government would be concerned with the safety of the patrons and must formulate a mechanism to inspect such places from time to time and take corrective action.”

The resort told the court that it has installed waterproof cable used for pumps in swimming pools. It also stated that all the pumps are covered with heavy cement and Shanabad slabs apart from providing necessary cages with danger boards to avoid sitting or standing over the slabs.

The HC has asked the Electric Inspector to visit the resort every quarter and submit report report to the Collector, Thane till proper licenses are given to the resort. And after the licenses are granted, the licensing authority would be responsible for inspection every quarter, stated the bench.

On April 9, 2005 Sonal Shah (33) and her daughter Hiral (7) were electrocuted to death because of an electrical leak in the pump. Two other members of the family, husband Ketan (38) and son Rahul (3) suffered serious shock injuries. Following a public outcry, the state disconnected the electric supply of the resort and a case of accidental death was registered against the resort owners. Manager Rajankrishna Menon and electrician Praveenkumar Jain were arrested.

State had refused to restore the electricity until the family was compensated after which the owner Jayantilal Jain approached the HC.

Email Urvi Jappi:

First Published: Dec 01, 2006 22:27 IST