McGrath to miss triangular series finals
The speedster has ruled himself out, choosing to spend time with his wife who was confirmed as having a recurrence of cancer.india Updated: Feb 05, 2006 18:27 IST
Veteran Australian pace bowler Glenn McGrath has ruled himself out of the finals of the triangular series, choosing to spend time with his family instead.
A statement released Sunday by Cricket Australia, the sport's governing body, said McGrath had told selectors he did not want to be considered.
The 35-year-old McGrath has not played in Australia's last two matches after learning his wife had a recurrence of cancer.
Jane McGrath has previously been treated for breast and bone cancer and will begin a new round of radiotherapy this week.
National Selection Panel chairman Trevor Hohns said in the statement that Cricket Australia backed McGrath's decision.
"Glenn has decided that he needs to be with his family in the immediate future and we completely support that decision," Hohns said.
"Our thoughts are with Glenn and Jane at what is a very difficult time."
Australia have already qualified for the best-of-three finals series which start in Adelaide next Friday.
McGrath made no announcement about his availabilty for Australia's upcoming tour of South Africa.
The Australians leave for South Africa from Sydney on February 20.
First Published: Feb 05, 2006 15:56 IST