Mob boss nabbed after 22-year hunt | india | Hindustan Times
  • Tuesday, Jul 17, 2018
  •   °C  
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 17, 2018-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Mob boss nabbed after 22-year hunt

Delhi police arrest Brijesh Singh, a Dawood aide, wanted for over 50 murders, report Tushar Srivastava & Vijaita Singh.

india Updated: Jan 25, 2008 02:37 IST

A gangster wanted for over 50 murders, including that of more than a dozen policemen, has been arrested, the Delhi Police announced on Thursday. The police had been searching for him for over two decades now, since 1986.

Brijesh Singh, a one-time associate of Dawood Ibrahim, is the most feared name in Uttar Pradesh, although his operations in getting railway tenders and in liquor, coal and scrap businesses are spread across the country.

He was arrested by a team of the Delhi Police’s Special Cell from a popular shopping complex in Bhubaneswar on Wednesday evening. The Special Cell team under the supervision of Joint Commissioner Karnal Singh and DCP Alok Kumar had been on his trail for the past three years.

Police said the gangster, with strong political connections, had been using a fake identity in Bhubaneswar and was believed to have been trying to get plastic surgery done to change his looks.

“During the second week of January this year, we received information that Singh was shuttling between Kolkata and Bhubaneswar in order to settle his business deals. This information was further developed and we zeroed him down in Bhubaneswar,” said Joint Commissioner Karnal Singh.

“On Wednesday, he was tracked down at a shopping complex in Bhubaneswar. He was overpowered and arrested.”

The 39-year-old, who had an Interpol Red Corner Notice against him, entered the world of crime in 1984 to avenge the killing of his father.

In 2001, after a shootout with a rival gang in Uttar Pradesh, he was presumed dead. But he had actually sneaked out of the country to Nepal from where he went around hiding in some southeast Asian countries. It was not immediately known when he returned to India.

The search for him was difficult as police had only one photograph of him — that too with the UP police. Also, the photo was that of only a 17-year-old don-in-the-making.