Muslims cancel peace march in Mumbai: community leader
Mumbai's Islamic community, which suffered a disproportionately high number of victims in the militant attacks on the city last week, has cancelled a peace march planned for Friday.india Updated: Dec 06, 2008 09:20 IST
Mumbai's Islamic community, which suffered a disproportionately high number of victims in the militant attacks on the city last week, has cancelled a peace march planned for Friday.
Religious leaders said the march was set to take place after Friday prayers but was cancelled as a procession to mark one week after the bloody attacks had already taken place, said Ibrahim Tai, president of the Muslim Council Trust.
"We had already carried out a march on Wednesday and hence decided not to hold a fresh one," said Tai, referring to the mass rally by the Gateway of India, opposite the Taj Mahal hotel -- one of the main targets of the attacks.
The All-India Sunni Jamiat-ul-ulema called on the city's Muslims to join that rally, which used text messages to draw tens of thousands of people to convey their anger to the city's leaders.
Up to 30 percent of the 172 people who died during the 60-hour siege of the city by Islamist militant gunmen were Muslims, Muslim leaders have told AFP.
Around two million of Mumbai's estimated 19 million inhabitants are Muslim.
Many of the Muslim victims were among more than 50 people who died at Mumbai's central railway terminus when gunmen opened fire with automatic weapons and sprayed the cavernous building with bullets.
The gunmen were among 10 Islamists who launched coordinated attacks on the city on the evening of November 26, murdering people at about a dozen locations before laying siege to two luxury hotels and a Jewish prayer centre.
India has been joined by the US in blaming the Pakistan-based Islamist movement Laskhar-e-Taiba for training and equipping the militants.
First Published: Dec 06, 2008 09:19 IST