Nepal army stops operations against Maoists in east
The army has halted operations against Maoists in eastern districts to create "conducive atmosphere" for freeing 41 abducted security personnel.
The Nepalese army has halted operations against the Maoists in four districts in the east to create a "conducive atmosphere" for freeing 41 security personnel abducted by the rebels three weeks ago, official sources said today.
At the request of the International Red Cross, Royal Nepal Army halted search and cordon operation from yesterday in Sankhuwasbh, Aplejug, Panchthar and Terhathum districts to create conducive atmosphere for freeing the security personnel, they said.
Three policemen had been killed and 41 policemen abducted on April 7 after the Maoists atacked a police post in Ilam district.
The Maoists have demanded that the operation be stopped for the time being to create favourable atmosphere for the release of abducted policemen.
Two weeks ago the security personnel had rescued an assistant police inspector abducted from Ilam from a nearby Pahchthar district.
In a separate incident, three children were injured when a socket bomb they were playing with exploded at Ranichur village in Sindhuli district,
The three - a two year-old girl, an eight year-old girl and an eight year-old boy who were grazing cattle started playing with the bomb when it exploded, reported state-run 'The Rising Nepal'.