Nithari folk have to prove parenthood
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2019-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Nithari folk have to prove parenthood

Compensation won't be provided until DNA reports come in, which will take at least a month, reports Sobhana K.

india Updated: Jan 07, 2007 01:37 IST
Sobhana K
Sobhana K

Relatives of the victims of the Nithari carnage were a worried lot on Saurday as they lined up outside Noida's district hospital to submit samples for DNA tests.

District authorities reportedly told them the compensation promised to them would not be transferred to their accounts until the test reports came in.

The district administration has distributed cheques to 12 persons, though all the 17 victims whose skulls were found have been identified.

"I have not been given a cheque yet, though the killer himself accepted he murdered my wife Nanda Devi Sahi (34). Her clothes were also recovered from the drain near House Number 5. Police said they will give me the cheque only after the DNA results come in," said Dil Bahadur Sahi.

District magistrate Ajay Chauhan was quick with the denial. "Police have confirmed the names of few victims who have been killed by Moninder Singh Pandher and Surender Koli. We will transfer the money to the account of families of these victims. However, in case of few other families, we will wait till the DNA report comes in," he said.

For a few families, the DNA test acted as a lie detector. James Thapa, who had been claiming that 11-year-old Nisha was his daughter, admitted that she was the daughter of his wife's elder sister.

"She was like my own daughter and I had brought her just six months ago from Darjeeling. Now they will not transfer the money in my account as I am not her real father," said Thapa.

Doctors have collected the blood samples of Thapa's wife, Cynthia. "We have sent Cynthia's samples as the police told us to. But for DNA identification, Nisha's mother's samples are essential," said pathologist Richa Saxsena, who was collecting samples at the district hospital.

The results will come in only after a month, said chief medical officer Dr Vinod Kumar.

Email Sobhana K:

First Published: Jan 07, 2007 01:29 IST