No illegal detainees in track blast case, says TN police
Tamil Nadu government today informed the Madras High Court that as on date no person was illegally detained in connection with the track blast near Villupuram last week.india Updated: Jun 16, 2010 23:45 IST
Tamil Nadu government on Wednesday informed the Madras High Court that as on date no person was illegally detained in connection with the track blast near Villupuram last week.
State public prosecutor (PP) P Kumarasen told a Division Bench, comprising Justices C Nagappan and Justice PR Sivakumar,that intensive probe was being carried out.
The Bench was taking up a Habeas Corpus Petition, filed by Jothi, wife of Elumalai one of the nine persons allegedly taken into illegal custody after the blast.
Kumarasen contended that "these (nine) persons were also questioned and were later let off".
Stating that if the damaged track was not noticed in time it could have caused extensive damage, he said to conduct a thorough investigation, residents of the entire area surrounding the spot of the blast had to be interrogated to find the whereabouts of the suspects.
Observing 'if a person is a suspect you arrest him', the Judges directed the public prosecutor to file his submissions in the form of a report.
However, making it clear that it would not entertain a terrorist act, the Bench said it was conveying the message that at no point of time the court would come to the rescue of those indulging in terrorist activities and adjourned hearing of the HCP till tomorrow.
A major disaster was averted when an alert crew of Chennai-bound Rockfort Express from Tiruchirappalli stopped the train on noticing a gap in the tracks, caused by a blast suspected to have been carried out by pro-LTTE elements near Villupuram in the wee hours of June 12.