No move to cut short torch relay: IOC Vice-President
A top official of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) says there is no move to curtail the Beijing Olympics torch relay following protests by Tibetan activists.Updated: Apr 09, 2008 02:11 IST
A top official of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) on Tuesday said there was no move to curtail the Beijing Olympics torch relay following protests by Tibetan activists who attempted to disrupt it in London and Paris.
"No. Not that I have heard of. No," IOC Vice-President Gunilla Lindberg told PTI in Beijing on Tuesday night, when asked if there was a move to curtail the relay, which has come under the shadow of Tibet unrest on its global tour.
She said the torch relay would however be discussed when the IOC Board meets here on April 10 and 11.
"We are here to discuss all the preparations. That is why we are here. I am sure we will talk about the torch relay also," Lindberg said but denied any curtailment move.
She said the Board meeting had been planned since two years, adding, "I am sure they will discuss the torch relay. But is not on the agenda to cancel anything."
Lindberg said attempts to disrupt the torch relay were "very sad".
"I think it is very sad because the Olympic torch is a symbol for peace and unity over borders and when people use it for violence, it is very bad".