No new admissions in Delhi's 1,700 schools
As the admission process for Delhi's schools begins for the next academic year, 1,700 of them facing the threat of sealing in the capital are clueless about their future.india Updated: Dec 09, 2006 14:20 IST
As the admission process for Delhi's schools begins for the next academic year, 1,700 of them facing the threat of sealing in the capital are clueless about their future.
"The admission procedure in these schools is at a standstill because we are unsure if we would be allowed to function," said R.C. Jain, president of the Delhi State Public Schools' Management Association (DSPSMA). The sealing drive against these schools will restart in May next year.
On Nov 23, the Supreme Court had granted reprieve to these schools. "We have decided to urge the apex court not to treat these schools as commercial establishments," added Jain.
Earlier, the apex court had given a verdict in which it said that schools could not be identified as business firms.
"If our schools are shut down by the civic authorities, it would be difficult for students to get admission in any other schools," he said, adding that there were not enough schools in Delhi to meet the demands of so many students.
The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) had earlier sealed Sant Haridas school in Najafgarh area in southwest Delhi. Many schools, including some up to the secondary level and a few till Class 12, are faced with closure for operating from residential areas in violation of civic by-laws. Some of the other schools affected by the sealing drive are Spring Meadows School, Victor Public School and Canterbury School.
First Published: Dec 09, 2006 14:20 IST