No talks with Musharraf regime: Mengal
The former Balochistan CM warned that any new army operation would worsen the situation in the strife-torn province.india Updated: Jan 13, 2007 13:49 IST
A key Baloch leader in Pakistan has ruled out negotiations with the Musharraf regime and warned that any new army operation would worsen the situation in the strife-torn province.
"There can be no negotiations with the present rulers who are using force to crush Baloch people," former Chief Minister of Balochistan Sardar Ataullah Mengal said.
"We are not ready to waste time and cannot respond to any invitation", the veteran leader said, adding that he would be ready for talks on the demands of the Baloch people if some "reasonable" people came to power.
He said that the situation was worsening in the country because the government was planning to launch operations in other areas of the province as in Kohlu and Dera Bugti districts.
"Now it will be our turn," Mengel was quoted as saying by the daily 'Dawn'.
He claimed a large contingents of Frontier Corps troops, personnel of Anti-Terrorist Force, Balochistan Reserve Police and regular police had been deployed from Wadh to Kanar area.
He said that recently security forces raided some areas of Wadh and arrested over a dozen people, including schoolchildren.
He alleged that some of them were released after paying bribes.
Lashing out at the government, Sardar Mengal said that the rulers were leading the country to complete disaster with their short-sighted actions.
He criticised President Pervez Musharraf and said that he was confused about his future.
"He wants to remain in uniform and also wants to retain the office of president and all other powers," Mengal said adding that Musharraf did not want to share power with anyone.
First Published: Jan 13, 2007 13:14 IST