Now, Lakdawala threatens Akshay
After music director and singer Himesh Reshammiya, underworld don Ejaz Lakdawala has now trained his guns on actor Akshay Kumar. Lakdawala allegedly asked the actor to cough up Rs 5 crore or face the consequences, a Crime Branch (CB) official told
on condition of anonymity.
The don has threatened director Rajkumar Santoshi and producer Firoze Nadiadwala several times in the recent past, the officer said.
Despite repeated attempts by
, Kumar could not be contacted.
Four Lakdawala shooters held by the Uttar Pradesh police on Wednesday had reportedly revealed the don's plans to bump off Reshammiya. "We are procuring transfer warrants to get the four men in our custody. We will interrogate them to find out more about their extortion activities in Mumbai," said CB chief Joint Commissioner of police Rakesh Maria.
Lakdawala's dogged ambition to replace jailed gangster Abu Salem — who once had Bollywood at his mercy — is well known in city police circles.
Bollywood is a lucrative target for extortionists in the city's underworld and Salem's extradition to India from Portugal in 2005 created a vacuum. "Lakdawala is competing with dons Ravi Pujari and Hemant Pujari to establish control over Bollywood," said the CB officer.
Lakdawala was part of a hit-squad formed by don Chhota Rajan in 1996 when Rajan was locked in a desperte duel with rival don Dawood.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The ADG has constituted teams of police personnel from Aligarh to assist the Hathras police.
- The incident took place on Sunday afternoon, when the girl went to a wheat field, owned by the family of the accused, to collect fodder and water.
- The provisions under the new rules relate to the code of ethics for digital news publishers, setting up of a grievance redressal system and the requirement of disclosure of information to Centre, the ministry said.
- The instrument will support the 3.6 metre Devasthal Optical Telescope (DOT) in Uttarakhand, an official release from the department of science said on Wednesday.
- Lt-Gen BS Raju said a quiet LoC will allow us to address the challenge of terrorism in a focused manner.
- The central agency has registered a case on the basis of an FIR registered by Chennai Economic Offences Wing in September last year.
- Dhyani added that the burden on the ecology due to construction on Himalayan slopes made the region prone to disasters.
- Navlakha claimed in his petition filed through advocate Shadan Farasat that the 90-day period for filing of charge sheet was over and he was entitled to default bail under Section 167(2) of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC).
- Lama was being considered as the GJM candidate for the Kalimpong assembly seat in the coming polls later this month.
- Unhappy with the response, the bench headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde asked Solicitor General Tushar Mehta to appear in the case along with Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Vikramjeet Banerjee, who presented the note to the Court.
- The officer withdrew his request after an orthopaedic surgeon said his purpose would not be served by buying a horse.