Over 100 hospitalised in China after chlorine leak
Villagers began appearing at hospitals complaining of dizziness, sore throats, chest pains and rashes, local media said.india Updated: Mar 28, 2006 16:25 IST
Over 100 villagers were hospitalised in eastern China on Tuesday, with at least four of them in coma, following a chlorine gas leak from a nearby chemical plant, local officials and media reports said.
Production at the plant wasn't shut down until four days after the initial leak, after people began showing up sick at a hospital in the city of Ningbo in Zhejiang province.
An official with the local government in Changtang, one of several villages affected, said that about 200-300 people had been affected by the gas leak, four or five of whom suffered serious poisoning and remain in coma.
Scores of other ill people had remained in their villages, the official said.
"We are waiting for a more detailed report on the leak," he added.
A doctor at Zongrui Hospital in Ningbo said scores of patients from Changtang had been brought for treatment.
Villagers reported seeing a cloud of gas on March 22 floating over farmland, where it scorched crops and killed poultry, a local news website said. By March 25, villagers began appearing at hospitals complaining of dizziness, sore throats, chest pains and rashes, it said.
The leak was later traced to the Donggang Electrochemical Plant in a nearby industrial zone producing alkali, sulphuric acid and other chemical products.
First Published: Mar 28, 2006 16:25 IST