Pak youth visits 8 states sans visa

The accused visits various Indian states considered to be very sensitive from militancy point of view, reports Zorawar Singh Jamwal.

india Updated: Dec 03, 2006 21:37 IST

Indian Army has handed over a Pakistani youth to Jammu and Kashmir Police who had travelled more than eight different states of the country without any passport/visa furthermore with a petty amount of Rs 1,750 in his pocket.

Identified as one Mirza Noor Rehman (22) son of Mohammad Ashraf Bengali, a resident of Hyderabad in Pakistan, the accused crossed over to Indian side via Wagah border in Attari Express without any visa. He managed to dodge the Custom Authorities at Wagah after exchanging some Pakistani Currency in lieu of which Mirza got Rs 1,750.

Mirza visited more than eight states and spent several days in different capital cities and trains before being detained by Indian Army, when he was spotted moving under suspicious circumstances at border area falling under the jurisdiction of police station Kanachak.

A local news daily - Daily Excelsior -in Jammuhad also reported the matter in its Sunday edition. Sources disclosed that “during his preliminary interrogation, Mirza confessed that he was traveling without passport/visa and gave detail of how he travelled in trains and visited various states of India.”

“The accused visited various states including J&K, Punjab, New Delhi, Rajasthan, West Bengal, Maharashtra and Gujarat - considered to be sensitive from militancy point of view.

From Wagah, Mirza left for Ajmer Sharief and stayed there for three days. After three days, he left Rajasthan and reached Kolkata after changing three trains and two buses and contacted some touts to cross over to Bangladesh,” said sources.

“Mirza finally managed to cross over to Bangladesh and stayed there with his uncle Sumat. Sumat had opted to stay in Bangladesh while Mirza’s father Mohammad Ashraf Bengali migrated to Pakistan in 1971 war.

After spending few days, Mirza returned to Kolkata, from there he again boarded a train to reach New Delhi, spending another couple of days in New Delhi. Mirza travelled in a train and reached Baroda. He worked as labourer for few days posing as a Bengali and earned some money,” revealed sources adding that “Mirza re-visited Ajmer Sharief and finally returned to New Delhi and stayed with some Bangladeshis. From New Delhi, he boarded a Mumbai bound train and stayed at Haji Ali Mazar.”

Sources said, “From Mumbai he travelled to Suratgarh in Gujarat and attempted to cross over to Pakistan but could not succeed. He again left for New Delhi and from where he boarded a train to reach Jammu and stayed at Jammu Railway Station for two days to seek details about the location of International Border.

After collecting some details, Mirza reached border area in Kanachak where army troops apprehended him and handed over to police where a case was registered against him.

“So far during questioning, involvement of the accused in militancy or any other undesirable activities has not been established,” informed sources.

Email Zorawar Singh Jamwal:

First Published: Dec 03, 2006 21:13 IST