Pets secure a berth on train
Railway passengers, who travel by air-conditioned first class or first class, can take their pet dog along if they have booked a two-berth or a four-berth compartment exclusively for them.india Updated: Nov 25, 2011 22:46 IST
Pet lovers have a reason to cheer as they may take along their pets while travelling by train.
Now, they need not worry about their pets' safety or leave them at their friends' house or in a kennel while going out of station.
Though the railways had started the facility some time ago, many people were unaware of it.
Railway passengers, who travel by air-conditioned first class, can take their pet dog along if they have booked a two-berth or a four-berth compartment exclusively for them.
Passengers travelling by other classes cannot carry pets along with them. However, they can be booked in the luggage and kept comfortably in the brake van.
A worker is deputed at the brake van to take care of the animals. He hands over the pet to his/her owner when they reach their destination. A veterinary doctor is also available in case the pet faces a medical problem. Therefore, the pets can have an equally comfortable journey as their masters.
Ludhiana station superintendent Ravinder Sharma said pet dogs and cats could be booked and carried just like other goods and animal boxes were also available in the rail guard bogies. "We have made good arrangement to keep the pets in brake vans, where they can also move a bit freely," Sharma added.
However, pet owners have to take a ticket for the pet from the railway parcel section of the railway station. The charges are according to the distance and the weight of the pet. For a pet weighing 100 kg, the owner has to pay Rs 80.
"I was not aware that we could take dogs along with us in the train, but I am happy to hear that there is such a provision. It's a good thing as I always faced a lot of difficulty whenever I had to go out of station," said Veetu, an NRI, who stays at Sarabha Nagar.
• Passengers found carrying pets, which are not booked, will be charged six times the luggage scale rate subject to a minimum of Rs 50
• Passengers must travel aboard the same train as their pets and they are responsible for feeding and taking care of it
• Dogs must be provided with collars and chains.
• Passengers travelling in air-conditioned first class or first class may take the pet in the compartment only with the concurrence of fellow passengers after paying the charges
* If fellow passengers subsequently object to the dog in the compartment, it will be shifted to the guard's van and no refund will be given
First Published: Nov 25, 2011 22:44 IST