Plan to finish off 146 gangsters
DIRECTOR GENERAL of police Bua Singh on Wednesday expressed satisfaction over the killing of dreaded criminal Firdaus alias Javed in an encounter. Firdaus was involved in the murder of BJP MLA Krishnanand Rai.
The State police chief said an action plan had been chalked out to eliminate at least 146 gangsters who were active in UP.
Talking to newspersons on Wednesday, Singh said the STF, in association with Mumbai police, had done laudable work in eliminating Firdaus.
He said efforts would now be made to either arrest, or eliminate dreaded dacoit Dadua and gangster Munna Bajrangi. Singh said a drive against organised crime would be speeded up in the State.
The DGP, who had already directed the district police to launch a one-month concerted drive to control crime, said mafioso would not be allowed to roam freely in the State. He said a list of 146 such criminals had been prepared and they would be targeted first to restore faith of people in the law and order machinery.
Varanasi has 59 such Mafioso, Bareilly 50, Gorakhpur 39, Meerut 32, Kanpur 6 and Allahabad 14.
In all, there are 268 mafioso. Of them, there are 79 contract mafioso, kidnapping (35), murder (17), drugs (28), gambling/satta (12) sand (6), mining (3), forest (19), liquor (28), tax (2), rangdari (8), coal (2), and animal (3).
While police have not taken the kidnapping industry of Chambal ravines into account, statistics revealed that there were at least 35 kidnapping Mafioso in Meerut zone and all of them were operating in Muzaffarnagar alone. “Most of the mafioso have political patronage,” said a senior police officer.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The technology requires telecoms companies to scrub messages to verify if the text being sent has been approved and it is only being sent to someone who has consented to receive such a message.
- Throughout the day, women protesters organised marches at the sites while wearing yellow, green scarves
- Responding to HT on Monday, CPWD denied all allegations that the waste from the Central Vista construction site was being dumped on the floodplains.
- Two women officers each have been assigned duties aboard INS Vikramaditya and INS Shakti.
- The fire had broken out at the 13th floor of the Eastern Railway’s office in the evening.
- The apex court framed this as one among the several questions to be decided while considering the constitutional validity of a 2018 Maharashtra law.
- The tragedy reportedly took place when an excavator was digging a drain near the boundary wall of the school.
- The Iranian embassy said it "strongly repudiates any unsubstantiated allegations or irresponsible comments in this regard and considers them as steps towards realising the sinister intentions of the enemies of Iran-India relations”.
- The Jammu and Kashmir administration during a verification drive on Saturday sent 169 illegal immigrant Rohingyas to a ‘holding centre’ after they were found without valid travel documents.