Recipe corner: Pumpkin soup
Recipe corner: Pumpkin soupindia Updated: Apr 02, 2009 21:40 IST
* Half kilo of yellow pumpkin, skinned, and cut into pieces n Two cloves garlic n Butter
* Crushed black pepper n Chopped walnuts
* Basil or celery for the garnish
Tip: You can also add boiled and blended carrots, beetroot, tomato, potato or peas to make the broth more flavourful, but I prefer the minimalism approach.
1. Clean and skin the pumpkin, cut into large pieces. Pressure cook for two whistles along with two cloves of garlic.
2. Cool, puree, add salt, pepper and bring to boil.
3. Add a dollop of butter or cream, chopped walnuts and garnish with a stalk of celery or basil.
Serve with garlic bread or baguettes.
* 1/4 kg yellow pumpkin
* A small bunch of green chowli beans, two inch pieces n Two green chillies n Coconut milk (half a tetrapack)
1. Skin the yellow pumpkin, taking care to remove all the green parts, and then slice thinly into 2”X2” pieces.
2. In a vessel, transfer the pumpkin, add salt, a cup of water, one or two slit and mashed green chillies, the chowli and bring to boil on a slow flame, after mixing well.
3. When the pumpkin and the chowli are nearly done add a tablespoon of coconut milk, mixing gently.
4. When it comes to a boil, switch off the gas.
Serve hot with chapatis or sambar rice
First Published: Apr 02, 2009 21:38 IST