Report to home ministry does not rule out rape: Nagaland police
The report that the Nagaland government sent to the ministry of home affairs (MHA) on the events that led to the Dimapur lynching last week, has “no mention” that there was no rape.Updated: Mar 12, 2015 00:17 IST
The report that the Nagaland government sent to the ministry of home affairs (MHA) on the events that led to the Dimapur lynching last week, has “no mention” that there was no rape.
Nagaland home commissioner Neihu Thur had earlier in the day told HT that the state government sent a detailed report to New Delhi on Wednesday morning. “The report has everything from the accusation of rape against Syed Sarifuddin Khan and investigations thereafter. What it contains is now for the MHA to say,” he said.
But the Nagaland government has been “baffled” by media reports stating Khan did not commit any rape, asserting these are not based on the report it sent to the MHA.
“There is nothing in the report that says there was no rape. What the national media is quoting is not our report, and could possibly be from the recorded statement of the accused who denied raping the 20-year-old girl. This apart, the report contains the statement of the victim, co-accused, medical samples and everything else related to the case,” Nagaland’s inspector general of police Wabang Jamir told reporters Wednesday night.
“We appeal to the media, particularly electronic, to exercise restraint in a case that is still under investigation,” he said.
First Published: Mar 12, 2015 00:13 IST