RIL sets up committee to probe refinery blaze
Preliminary probe by RIL officials indicated that the fire was caused due to a faulty valve in the unit.india Updated: Oct 25, 2006 23:19 IST
Reliance Industries Limited has set up a committee of experts to probe the cause of Wednesday's fire in its Jamnagar refinery, a senior company official said.
"A committee has been formed to probe the cause of the fire at the unit. This committee would comprise of experts of the refinery as well as fire safety industries. It would also include experts of RIL and also from other countries," RIL Group President (Corporate Affairs) Parimal Nathwani told on Wednesday night.
He said that the committee would begin its probe "as soon as possible".
One person was injured in the major fire in the morning that broke out in the VGO Hydrotreater II unit of the Jamnagar refinery, the biggest in Asia.
Apart from the affected unit, the other units within the refinery are operational, RIL officials said after assessing the situation.
Though the affected unit will remain shut for about 10 days for repairs, the overall output would not be much affected, RIL officials ascertained.
Preliminary probe by RIL officials indicated that the fire was caused due to a faulty valve in the unit.
The RIL Jamnagar refinery has a total annual production output of 33 million tones of crude.
First Published: Oct 25, 2006 23:19 IST