Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 13, 2018-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Russian acid attack victim leaves for Moscow

The 23-year-old Russian tourist, who was attacked with acid in Varanasi, left for Moscow on Monday morning.

india Updated: Nov 16, 2015 23:35 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Acid attack,Russian tourist,Varanasi
The Russian woman, after an alleged acid attack, carried into an ambulance before being shifted to Delhi from Sir Sunderlal Hospital, BHU, in Varanasi, India, on Saturday, November 14, 2015.(Adarsh Gupta/ HT Photo)

The 23-year-old Russian tourist, who was attacked with acid in Varanasi, left for Moscow on Monday morning.

The external affairs ministry on Monday said India would bear all the treatment expenses. Darya Yurieva was being treated at Safdarjung Hospital, where she was brought from Varanasi in an air ambulance on Saturday night.

“A group of doctors from the Russian embassy assessed her condition. They were happy with the treatment she received here but they decided to move her to Moscow. It cannot be said that she left against medical advice because she is a foreign national and the country has the right to decide where the citizen would be treated,” said Dr AK Rai, medical superintendant of Safdarjung hospital.

She was moved to Russia on the insistence of her mother, according to sources.

Minister for external affairs Sushma Swaraj tweeted on Monday, “The acid victim has been flown to Moscow. Our Ambassador has met mother of the victim. We have assured her that India would bear all expenses on her treatment in Russia. Chief Minister UP has announced Rs 5 lakh towards this.”

“She has suffered 45% burns, with both her eyes being affected apart from the front part of the chest, abdomen, right arm, complete left leg and right thigh,” said Safdarjung spokesperson Poonam Dhanda. A team of doctors from the burns unit had examined her on her arrival at 10.10pm on Saturday.

Doctors said her blood circulation was stable and she can move around a little on her own.

She left before her ophthalmic assessment to determine whether she would get her eyesight back.

She was attacked by the son of the owner of the paying guest facility in which she was staying for allegedly rejecting a marriage proposal by the accused.

First Published: Nov 16, 2015 23:35 IST