SAG caught in a spat between IOA, ministry
Accommodation for participants is a major concern ahead of the South Asian Games (SAG), scheduled to be held in the capital in October next year, and the problem could even lead to the postponement of the event.india Updated: Nov 16, 2011 23:07 IST
Accommodation for participants is a major concern ahead of the South Asian Games (SAG), scheduled to be held in the capital in October next year, and the problem could even lead to the postponement of the event.
IOA acting president, VK Malhotra, said there was normally a shortage of hotel rooms in the capital in October-November. “So, we are thinking of taking the Games to early next year when there won’t be major lodging problems,” he said.
A rift between the IOA and the sports ministry could be another factor in the attempt to push the Games to 2013. So far, the two parties haven’t even discussed the constitution of the SAG organising committee. The ministry had called for two meetings, including one on Tuesday. But the IOA backed off, saying it would attend only a high level meeting chaired by the Prime Minister.
Malhotra had written to the PM on Monday, seeking his intervention to set up the organising body. The IOA also wants the government to handle the financial aspect of the event, and provide only technical support.
A ministry official said Tuesday’s meeting was called to discuss the conduct of the Games. “There has to be a beginning. If IOA doesn't turn up, how will we carry the process forward?” the official said.
After the CWG in 2010, the SAG would be the first major sports event to be held in the capital. But with Malhotra and sports minister Ajay Maken at loggerheads, another meeting on the SAG looks unlikely soon.
First Published: Nov 16, 2011 23:06 IST