SC rejects CBI chief's plea to restrain media
In his plea Sinha said the coverage of the controversy was doing irreparable damage to his reputation and that it was not the media's business to publish who met him in private. This was however turned down by the courtindia Updated: Sep 04, 2014 15:27 IST
In a setback for CBI chief Ranjit Sinha, the Supreme court on Thurday refused to restrain the media from reporting the names of 2G and coal scam accused who 'visited' him.
In his plea Sinha said the coverage of the controversy was doing irreparable damage to his reputation and that it was not the media's business to publish who met him in private. This was however turned down by the apex court
The court then set for Monday the hearing on activist Prashant Bhushan's petition that there is a conflict of interest if the CBI chief continued to probe the high profile 2G and coal scam cases.
"After going through the document, we really feel that there is a need to put them on affidavit," said an apex court bench headed by justice H.L. Dattu, asking counsel Prashant Bhushan to file an affidavit.
The court asked to Bhushan attach the documents showing the entry list at the CBI Director's residence and said it could not be considerd until it became part of the record
Advocate Bhushan, representing the Centre for Public Interest Litigation had week told the court earlier this week, that the guest register at Sinha’s residence revealed “very disturbing” and “explosive material”.
The court directed the registry to put back the documents submitted by the NGO in a sealed cover. In the meantime, the court denied to consider Sinha's plea to restraint media from carrying any reports based on the allegations made by the NGO.
Appearing for Sinha, senior counsel Vikas Singh told the court: "People like Prashant Bushan are damaging the reputation of a very high functionary of the government."