Series hangs in balance
Clouds of uncertainty loom over the tournament with the South African team management expressing serious concerns about the security of its players. Bomb blast aftermath: IHF unsure of SA Games in Colomboindia Updated: Aug 14, 2006 18:27 IST
Clouds of uncertainty loom over the cricket tri-series with the South African team management expressing serious concerns about the security of its players following a powerful bomb blast barely a few hours before the tournament was to get underway here today.
The South African team management held a meeting with top Sri Lanka Cricket officials, where the Indian team coach and captain were also present, to discuss the situation in the wake of the explosion.
"We are getting recommendations from our security personnel accompanying the team and Cricket South Africa is well aware of the situation," team's media manager Gordon Templeton said.
"After gathering all the facts the team management will meet Sri Lankan officials tomorrow at 10 am and a final decision will be taken," he said.
Sri Lanka Cricket Chief Executive Officer Duleep Mendis, however, had earlier expressed confidence that the series would go ahead as per schedule after the meeting.
After the discussions, it was decided to go ahead with the series and give maximum security to the three teams.
"The security has already been beefed up for the three teams and the tournament will go ahead as per schedule," Sri Lanka Cricket media manager Samantha Algama said.
The powerful mine blast took place at Liberty Plaza roundabout, located about three km away from the hotel where the Indian cricket team is staying.
The Indian cricketers were in their rooms in Hotel Taj Samudra when the explosion took place and they are all safe.
First Published: Aug 14, 2006 17:54 IST