Shot at, woman dies due to delay in treatment
She could have survived her bullet injury, were it not for the delay in treatment at the government hospital she was brought to.
Police say the unidentified, married woman was travelling in an auto with her three year old child when she was shot by an unknown assailant. Passerby Amit Yadav brought her and her son to MMG hospital, where she succumbed to her head-injury on Wednesday.
“She could have been saved when I brought her at 12.40 PM. But police and doctors looked on till she died. The hospital does not have a neuro-surgeon and did not provide the ambulance for referring her to another hospital. Gasping and waiting for treatment, she died at around 1.45 PM,” said Yadav.
However, the attending surgeon at MMG hospital, Dr. K.N. Tiwary, said that they did what was possible with the available resources.
“We were trying to get an ambulance to refer her to Delhi but it did not arrive. These is no neuro-surgeon at our hospital. We gave her initial treatment and were trying to arrange an ambulance,” he said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The tragedy reportedly took place when an excavator was digging a drain near the boundary wall of the school.
- The Iranian embassy said it "strongly repudiates any unsubstantiated allegations or irresponsible comments in this regard and considers them as steps towards realising the sinister intentions of the enemies of Iran-India relations”.
- The Jammu and Kashmir administration during a verification drive on Saturday sent 169 illegal immigrant Rohingyas to a ‘holding centre’ after they were found without valid travel documents.
- The report said that closing of schools, economic stress, parental deaths and pregnancies due to the coronavirus pandemic could increase the risk of child marriage.
- On Monday, Odisha reported 668 large forest fires.
- The 13th floor houses the accounts office of the Eastern Railways.