Somnath asks judiciary not to become 'super legislature'
Judiciary should not overstep into the affairs of the legislature and encroach upon spheres earmarked for other organs of democracy, Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee has said.
He also asked the judiciary to avoid becoming a 'super legislature'.
Speaking at a function of the High Court Bar Association in Nagpur on February 18, Chatterjee said the Indian constitution has clearly demarcated the responsibility for managing public affairs to the legislature for which they are accountable to the people.
"Any efforts by the judiciary to take on itself the onerous responsibility of the governance of the country will have serious implications," he said.
The function was also attended by Chief Justice of Bombay High Court Justice Swatanter Kumar and a galaxy of other members of bench and bar.
"Legislature has a pre-eminent position in the democratic set up," he said.
Quoting Nehru, Chatterjee said the Supreme Court or the judiciary can not stand in the path of the legislature.
He said judiciary has the power to examine the constitutionality of the law but not to tell (legislature) how the law should be implemented.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The launch took place from Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
- Transport commissioner Sanjeeb Panda and his IPS officer wife Santosh Bala (Home department special secretary), were in one of the three tents that caught fire.
- The petitioner had moved the high court in January this year after she was declared ineligible for admission to an undergraduate medical course as her left hand was amputated.
- Police said the killer slit the elderly woman's throat with a sharp weapon.
- "I did not learn Tamil. It is such a beautiful language, which is popular all over the world," the prime minister said.
- The rising demand for the ‘war room’ also coincides with the shrinking real estate space for the Congress in the national capital.
- Gandhi has on several occasions attacked the government over the three farm laws, alleging that they are intended to benefit "handful of PM Modi’s friends".
- The victims was being treated at Shri Maharaja Hari Singh hospital in Srinagar where he was on ventilator.