HT Image
HT Image

State of ban is bane of state

The link between repressive regimes and banning of information — the new currency of social, economic, political and religious interactions — is tyrannical at worst, fragile at best, writes Gautam Chikermane. Read more...Dabs & Jabs| Middle Order
By HT Correspondent | None
UPDATED ON MAY 24, 2010 02:28 AM IST

The link between repressive regimes and banning of information — the new currency of social, economic, political and religious interactions — is tyrannical at worst, fragile at best, writes Gautam Chikermane. Read more...
Dabs & Jabs| Middle Order

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
app
Close
Security personnel baton charge a protester during clashes after farmers' tractor rally turned violent, in New Delhi, on Tuesday. (PTI)
Security personnel baton charge a protester during clashes after farmers' tractor rally turned violent, in New Delhi, on Tuesday. (PTI)

Twitter takes down over 500 accounts a day after violence during farmer rally

By Deeksha Bhardwaj
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 05:27 PM IST
Twitter’s spokesperson said they have also applied labels to tweets that were found to be in violation of synthetic and manipulated media policy
Close
Union Minister for Law & Justice, Communications and Electronics & Information Technology, Ravi Shankar Prasad held a press conference on Cabinet Decisions, in New Delhi on Wednesday. (ANI Photo)
Union Minister for Law & Justice, Communications and Electronics & Information Technology, Ravi Shankar Prasad held a press conference on Cabinet Decisions, in New Delhi on Wednesday. (ANI Photo)

IT minister to launch 'Work from Anywhere' portal

PTI, New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 05:26 PM IST
The minister will be the chief guest at the event, which will also be attended by senior IT ministry officials and industry leaders.
Close
Farmers gather at Red Fort during their tractor parade on Republic Day, in New Delhi. (PTI)
Farmers gather at Red Fort during their tractor parade on Republic Day, in New Delhi. (PTI)

Twitter suspends over 550 accounts after violence during farmers' R-Day rally

ANI
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 05:21 PM IST
The microblogging platform said that it had applied labels to tweets that were found to be in violation of synthetic and manipulated media policy.
Close
Rashtriya Kisan Mazdoor Sangathan leader VM Singh speaks to reporters on Wednesday.(ANI Photo)
Rashtriya Kisan Mazdoor Sangathan leader VM Singh speaks to reporters on Wednesday.(ANI Photo)

'Doesn't have authority': AIKSCC after farmer leader says withdrawing from stir

By hindustantimes.com | Edited by Amit Chaturvedi
UPDATED ON JAN 27, 2021 05:45 PM IST
The farmers who had the permission from Delhi Police to take out a tractor rally deviated from the approved route of the parade and marched towards central Delhi from various border points leading to violence on Tuesday.
Close
As many as 63,30,00, or over 56% of the failed transactions as of July 31, were successfully reprocessed but beneficiaries in the remaining 44% may not have received the money, according to information obtained from the agriculture department under the Right to Information (RTI) Act. (Representative Image)(PTI file photo)
As many as 63,30,00, or over 56% of the failed transactions as of July 31, were successfully reprocessed but beneficiaries in the remaining 44% may not have received the money, according to information obtained from the agriculture department under the Right to Information (RTI) Act. (Representative Image)(PTI file photo)

News updates from HT: Over a million Kisan fund transfers failed during lockdown

By hindustantimes.com
UPDATED ON JAN 27, 2021 05:05 PM IST
Here are today’s top news, analysis, and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
Close
Goa chief minister Pramod Sawant, who holds the forest portfolio, has said that the projects were being implemented by following “the complete procedure as prescribed by the MoEF&CC while obtaining the forest clearance and wildlife clearance.” (HT Photo)
Goa chief minister Pramod Sawant, who holds the forest portfolio, has said that the projects were being implemented by following “the complete procedure as prescribed by the MoEF&CC while obtaining the forest clearance and wildlife clearance.” (HT Photo)

No need to assess Mollem projects’ cumulative impact: Goa minister

By Gerard de Souza
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 04:55 PM IST
In a letter to the Central Empowered Committee, the expert members of the Wildlife Board said the clearances to the projects were granted without studying their cumulative impact
Close
The leopard was declared a man-eater on January 1(Representational Photo)
The leopard was declared a man-eater on January 1(Representational Photo)

Man-eater leopard that attacked 4 people shot dead in Uttarakhand’s Almora

PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 04:45 PM IST
  • The leopard had killed a woman and inured three others before the forest department declared it a man-eater.
Close
IRCTC has announced that passengers will be thermally screened before entering the coach and not allowed to exchange their seats once seated(PTI)
IRCTC has announced that passengers will be thermally screened before entering the coach and not allowed to exchange their seats once seated(PTI)

IRCTC to resume services for Tejas trains from February 14

By hindustantimes.com | Edited by Ayshee Bhaduri, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 04:44 PM IST
  • The two Tejas Express services are the first set of trains run by IRCTC, a subsidiary of the Indian Railways. They stopped operating in March last year due to the pandemic. IRCTC resumed services in October, but operations were stopped a month later due to low occupancy.
Close
Uttarakhand Police personnel deployed in US Nagar district(HT PHOTO)
Uttarakhand Police personnel deployed in US Nagar district(HT PHOTO)

Uttarakhand police on alert in 4 districts after violence in Delhi tractor rally

PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 04:17 PM IST
  • The police headquarters has asked the US Nagar district police to maintain extra vigil as it is the most affected district in the state by the farmers’ agitation.
Close
Sameer Desai being welcomed into Shiv Sena by Uddhav Thackeray (Photo@ShivSena)
Sameer Desai being welcomed into Shiv Sena by Uddhav Thackeray (Photo@ShivSena)

Sameer Desai quits BJP, joins Shiv Sena

PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 04:15 PM IST
A two-term Congress corporator, Sameer Desai has also been the spokesperson of Mumbai Congress.
Close
The nishan sahib transformed into the symbol of sikh sovereignty and identity.(AP)
The nishan sahib transformed into the symbol of sikh sovereignty and identity.(AP)

All you need to know about Nishan Sahib, the flag hoisted by farmers on Red Fort

By hindustantimes.com | Written by Deepali Sharma, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
UPDATED ON JAN 27, 2021 04:20 PM IST
Actor Deep Sidhu has been accused of instigating the farmers for the deviation in the route as well as for hoisting the flag.
Close
Heavy security personnel deployed at Red Fort in New Delhi on Wednesday. A group of protestors climbed to the ramparts of the fort and unfurled flags on the 26th of January. (ANI)
Heavy security personnel deployed at Red Fort in New Delhi on Wednesday. A group of protestors climbed to the ramparts of the fort and unfurled flags on the 26th of January. (ANI)

Red Fort breach: Minister Prahlad Patel says report to be sent to MHA

By hindustantimes.com | Edited by Arpan Rai
UPDATED ON JAN 27, 2021 04:24 PM IST
A tractor parade on Tuesday descended into anarchy as tens of thousands of protesters broke through barriers, fought with police, overturned vehicles and hoisted a religious flag from the ramparts of the iconic Red Fort.
Close
BJP MP Manoj Tiwari hadchallenged the summons issued to him in a criminal defamation case filed by Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia.(Amal KS/HT File PHOTO)
BJP MP Manoj Tiwari hadchallenged the summons issued to him in a criminal defamation case filed by Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia.(Amal KS/HT File PHOTO)

Supreme Court stays defamation proceeding against BJP leader Manoj Tiwari

By hindustantimes.com | Edited by Poulomi Ghosh
PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 03:48 PM IST
The case pertains to a complaint Sisodia brought against Tiwari and BJP leader Vijender Gupta in which Sisodia said the two leaders have levelled corruption charges against him.
Close
Indian National Lok Dal (INLD) senior leader Abhay Singh Chautala addresses farmers during their protest against the new farm laws, at National Highway 48, near Rajiv Chowk, in Gurugram on Tuesday. (ANI PHOTO)
Indian National Lok Dal (INLD) senior leader Abhay Singh Chautala addresses farmers during their protest against the new farm laws, at National Highway 48, near Rajiv Chowk, in Gurugram on Tuesday. (ANI PHOTO)

INLD legislator Abhay Singh Chautala resigns over farm laws, Speaker accepts

By hindustantimes.com, HT Correspondent, New Delhi
UPDATED ON JAN 27, 2021 04:25 PM IST
The Haryana MLA has staunchly backed farmers in their protest as he also carried out a tractor rally from Punjab's Ambala earlier this month.
Close
BJP spokesperson Azfar Shamshi(Photo@Azfarshamshi)
BJP spokesperson Azfar Shamshi(Photo@Azfarshamshi)

Bihar BJP spokesperson shot at in Munger; 1 arrested

PUBLISHED ON JAN 27, 2021 03:40 PM IST
The police said that Azfar Shamshi was fired upon by 2-3 men while he was on way to college from his residence.
Close
SHARE
Story Saved
OPEN APP