State-sponsored eye camps blind 7 people in MP
The camps were conducted by the district administration with the help of NGOs and the health department. In the last two years there have been at least 50 cases where patients have lost their eyesight in such camps in Madhya Pradesh. HT reports.india Updated: Dec 13, 2012 13:05 IST
Cataract operations conducted at the state-sponsored camps have blinded seven patients.
The camps were conducted by the district administration with the help of NGOs and the health department. In the last two years there have been at least 50 cases where patients have lost their eyesight in such camps across the state.
Till Tuesday six patients who were operated in Khandwa during the camp held between November 24- 26 were referred to Maharaja Yashwantrao Hospital on December 5.
While the doctors had to remove the eyes of two patients, because the infection had spread, four patients are undergoing treatment but have lost their eyesight. One patient who were referred to the MYH on Wednesday has also lost his eyesight, said sources.
Three days after the operation, the patients had reported itching in the eyes, continuous watering and swelling.
"In the follow- up done by the doctors, the patients were asked to go to the district hospital but they did not reach on time. There was a delay on their part in reaching the hospital,” said chief medical and health officer Dr RC Panika, Khandwa.
He added, “If the infection had spread in operation theatre then there would have been many more cases as nearly 450 operations were conducted during the camp.”
It may be noted that there has been no probe about the possibility of an infection in the operation theatre and the report by the CMHO has been sent to the office of joint director in Indore.
“The patients are supposed to take post- operative care. However, they tend to take the instructions very lightly and hence suffer infections,” added Dr Panika.
Earlier on December 2010, 18 patients from Mhow, Sonkaccha and village Satwas had suffered infection and lost their eyes. There hasn’t been any relief to sufferers.
“We had initiated a criminal proceeding in the case and had asked the state government to take further action. However, no one has got any compensation in the case,” said joint director health Dr Sharad Pandit.
About 30 patients had lost their eyesight after the similar camps were held at Mandla in October 2010.