Supreme Court decision against Muslim personal law
EXECUTIVE MEMBER of All India Muslim Personal Law Board Abdul Wahab Khilji has said that the decision of the Supreme Court to allow a divorced couple to live together is against Muslim personal law.
Talking to Hindustan Times here on Saturday, Abdul Wahab said, “We respect the Indian Constitution but the decision of the Supreme Court to allow a divorced couple to live together is against Muslim religion and Muslim Personal Law”.
It may be mentioned that the Supreme Court has also directed the Orissa Government to provide security to the divorced couple who are willing to live together.
Abdul Wahab Khilji, who is also executive member of the World Islamic Council London, UK, was here in Varanasi to participate in a two-day seminar at Jamia Salphia in Reori Talab area.
“ When we have to choose between the law of the Supreme Court and the law of Allah, we will choose the law of Allah”, he asserted.
To a query about fatwas, he said that fatwa was an advice given by learned Muslim religious leaders against an application. He added that there was no controversy in issuing a fatwa but it should be taken from a learned and qualified religious leader, not from anyone having a long beard and little knowledge.
“Fatwas are mere advice, not a law but the fatwas should be strictly followed by the applicants,” he said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Earlier this month, CBI in the first charge-sheet in the case had named BSF Commandant Satish Kumar and Murshidabad-based businessman Enamul Haque along with five others for their alleged involvement in cattle smuggling across the India-Bangladesh border.
- The bench, also comprising Justices L Nageswara Rao and S Ravindra Bhat apart from Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde were of the view that magistrates should play a more “intrusive” role in investigation.
- Police said the accused and the victim were in a relationship for a year, but of late she had been avoiding him.
- The national carrier at present is operating only special passenger trains since the curbs on lockdown were eased. Regular passenger trains have been suspended since March 25, 2020.
- Both the casualties took place due to IED blasts.
- The BJP unit has also been at loggerheads with the ruling Meghalaya Democratic Alliance (MDA) dispensation with its chief Earnest Mawrie accusing it of anomalies in governance.
- Shahjahanpur’s superintendent of police S Anand, SP, denied reports that the girl was burnt after a failed rape attempt
- An expert team is trying to drain out the lake to prevent another tragedy like the Chamoli flash flood.