Trade espresso: When romance fizzles
Not much was expected from the much-delayed Mehbooba directed by Afzal Khan. The antiquated romance opened to very low collections: 20 to 30 per cent at the single screens and even lower at multiplexes.
The scene at the single screens in the Hindi belt (northern region) were only marginally better. Clearly, a dud. Superhero clicks Will Smith's Hancock opened with an upbeat response on its first day at the multiplexes. Its dubbed version at the single screens was a no-no.
Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na registered nearly 90 per cent collections at most of multiplexes in its first week; its second week tick et sales were excellent. Some multiplexes have even increased the number of shows in its second-week run, a rare phenomenon.
From the look of things, Jaane Tu.. is on its way .. to become the biggest hit of the year, so far. The collections at the singleplexes are also heartening.
There was no improvement in the fortunes of Love Story 2050. It opened with discouraging ticket sales. Since the word-of-mouth buzz wasn't positive, it'll go down in memory as India's unsuccessful bid at a scifi adventure.
It goes without saying that its number of shows has been reduced drastically .
As for Kunal Kohli's Thoda Pyaar Thoda Magic, it will be remembered as another downer in Yash Raj's track record.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sangma said the mineral, weighing truckloads, which were dumped in a scattered manner, were being tallied.
- ‘Khukuri’ a brand of Nepalese cigarette has captured the market in the border areas of US Nagar, Champawat and Pithoragarh. Over 90% of smokers prefer to purchase and smoke this not due to taste but its cheap prices, said an official.
- In 2016, the Supreme Court had placed a ban on animal fights during religious and cultural festivals.
- Air quality had remained in the poor to very poor category since the beginning of January owing to low temperatures. On January 8, the AQI was the worst at 317 (very poor) for this year.
- For the first time, TMC’s youth unit president and chief minister Mamata Banerjee’s nephew Abhishek Banerjee stepped in to solve the crisis. He sent party spokesperson Kunal Ghosh to bring Roy to his office on Camac Street in south Kolkata and held a two-hour meeting on Friday.
- To meet Shah’s target of winning more than 200 of Bengal’s 294 assembly seats in 2021, the BJP has put together its biggest election machinery in the eastern state.
- More than 12,000 doses of the vaccine have reached Ladakh of which around 4,000 have been earmarked for armed forces personnel to protect them from Covid-19, the officials said speaking on condition of anonymity.
- MPW workers demand promotion and cadre-restructuring.
- Choudhury's comments came after the TMC had on Wednesday said the Congress and the Left should support Banerjee in her fight against the BJP, a suggestion rejected by the two parties.